Friday, September 25, 2009

Intercultural Communication

A few years back, my family and I travelled to Hong Kong for a holiday. From observation, the people in Hong Kong spoke mainly in Cantonese dialect and since my family members were able to communicate in Cantonese, we did not have many difficulties in communication. However, the experience we had there was not a very pleasant one.

Once, I passed by a gift shop to get some presents for my friends. The female shopkeeper was busy with her work and didn’t notice me. In order to get her attention, I started to wave to her and called her “xiao jie” which meant “miss” in Chinese. She glanced at me, clearly noticed by presence, but continued to ignore me and pack her merchandise. I was pretty angry with her for behavior and attitude, so I called for her even louder. The shopkeeper stomped towards me and told me to get out of her shop and she did not want to sell things to me. I was very surprised at her action but decided not to pursue the matter further since I was not familiar with the place.

In the evening, my parents and I went to a restaurant for some Chinese food. The meal was delicious but we could not finish the food and decided to call for “ta bao” which means “takeaway” in Chinese. The waiter scolded us for not being polite to them. We were quite puzzled at the way he treated us.

It was only after we returned back to Singapore that a friend told us that we should not have used the phases “xiao jie” and “ta bao” because it meant “prostitute” and “packed dead body” respectively. After this incident, I understood the importance of understanding other cultural beliefs and even their language before we interact with them. In addition, being aware of other cultural differences and complexity allowed us to overcome miscommunication problem and increased cultural sensitivity, especially in the way we speak.

5 Comments:

At September 26, 2009 at 4:18 AM , Blogger liews_ryan said...

Hi Eileen,

Your entry reminded me how important it is to watch some Hong Kong drama before we go to Hong Kong!

For those who is planning to have holiday or business in Shenzhen, i think they should avoid those words as well--as Hong Kong and Shenzhen "speak the same language".

Anyway, i'm puzzling that how am i suppose to address a young lady in Hong Kong? "Da jie" or "gu niang"?

Last but not least, can i call you "Eileen xiao jie" in Singapore? LOL. :p

Cheers,
Ryan

 
At September 27, 2009 at 6:20 AM , Blogger PInkRage said...

Hi Eileen,


Instead of calling them "xiao jie", you can use English and call out "excuse me miss" or if you know cantonese, "liang lui" meaning, pretty girl, or if shes of age, "dai so" or "da sao" in chinese, big auntie, will do.

And yes, if you are not a local in Hong Kong, sometimes it is quite hard to buy stuff especially in streetside stores. They like to slash prices at foreigners, they can hear from your accent. Thats why whenever me and my uncle had to buy expensive stuff, like a desktop for example, he had to lie to the shop owners. He told them we lived nearby and if they could not fix the desktop up in time, we would get it the next day. But in actual fact, we were leaving Hong Kong the next day of course.

If you notice how language is mixed and made in Singapore, most of the time, the way people in Singapore speak is quite rude. Thats why it is still best to communicate in English when you are overseas. By English, I mean proper English of course, not Singlish.


With Regards,
Pak Ming

 
At September 29, 2009 at 8:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eileen,

To what i know,if you go HK, speak Cantonese or English with them. They would usually associate tourists speaking Mandarin to people from China. For your case, you must be extra careful with the usage of words if you were to speak in Mandarin as you may unexpectedly offend the people there. (Note: Beware of offending the triad there)

Gail

 
At September 30, 2009 at 7:05 AM , Blogger Danhua said...

Hi Eileen,
It’s not only in Hong Kong but also in the mainland China, “Xiao Jie” Sounds really rude. In China now, People often call a young lady “Mei Nv” which in English means “Beautiful Girl”. I agree with Ryan that it will help if we watch some Hong Kong drama before we go there, because I learnt the other meaning (dead body) of the word “Da bao” from that.
Best Regards
Danhua

 
At October 10, 2009 at 7:00 AM , Blogger Eileen said...

To Ryan
According to what I hear from others, you are supposed to call them "liang nu" or "mei nu" which means beautiful lady. Of course you can call me xiao jie in singapore but not in hong kong though.

To Pakming
I understand that we can use english but they use cantonese commonly, if we can speak like them then buying things will also be easier and probably cheaper, provided they think we are local.

To Gail
Yes, i agree. I heard they had many triad there and I try not to agitate anyone, you never know who you are dealing with.

To Danhua
Thanks for the guide. I do watch some hong kong dramas but I think I didnt notice the wording until I been to Hong kong.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home