Friday, August 21, 2009

Why effective communication skills are important for you?

Effective communication is a relevant skill everyone should be equipped with. It enhances the quality of interpersonal interactions, increases understanding and is important in the development of strong relationships.Equipped with these skills, one would be able to express oneself better and prevent any misunderstandings due to miscommunication.

Being able to communicate is easy, but the ability to communicate effectively and translating your idea across without any mistakes is difficult. In addition, the way you communicate with your family and friends will be different from the way you talk to professors in school. Sometimes a communication breakdown could cause lots of misunderstanding and unhappiness. Thus, equipping myself with such skills ensure I am able to grow myself internally and externally.

By ‘ internally’, I could increase my self-confidence when I am speaking; while ‘externally’, my ideas would be transmitted across more clearly. Succinct and effective communication is also essential in my career when I deliver my thoughts and feelings during interviews and presentations, as well as enabling me to cooperate effectively with my colleagues.

However being a shy and soft-spoken person, this is not an easy task. To achieve this, I would need to build up my confidence and the ability to convey my feelings in words rather than bottling them up, whether in group discussions or face-to-face dialogues.

6 Comments:

At August 21, 2009 at 9:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

test

 
At August 23, 2009 at 5:43 AM , Blogger Danhua said...

Your content is very consistent from paragraph to paragraph, very nice structure. One more thing, the theme is so kwaii:)

 
At August 23, 2009 at 7:37 AM , Blogger liews_ryan said...

Very easy to read and understand. After reading this post, i guess that you'd like to express your feelings very much--which is a good thing, as expressing your true feelings means being honest.

Imho, you have to be careful and in some situation, you just cant express you feeling too much. For example, a job interview. Let say you are not happy with your previous company (your true feelings) but you just cant tell the interviewer you are not happy with the company and therefore decided to resign.

I myself also like to "being honest" but, sometime, people just dont need it. :{

 
At August 26, 2009 at 9:09 AM , Blogger Tan Wei Hong said...

I think that you would have the neccessary set of good communicating skills. However, you are not confident or unsure of yourself?

the article is written concise and clear. you've talked about the difficulties and constrains while we struggle to keep our conversations or exchanges at a level or manner that everything is perfectly understood.

I feel that if we were to do so, that is, ever being concious of "how" we communicate, we will lose sight of "what" we want to communicate.

Taking this module will certain make anyone of us more confident and certain of ourselves in engaging and interact with others. However, i feel that we should not be overly concern on putting into exact use of the tips or pointers we've learned and picked up. I would shrudder to think of how my mom will ask: "boy, are you alright? why are you speaking so strangely a manner?". we may achieve the opposite effect!

But, alas, a hug and smile conveys all that is love.And that is something we all communicate.

 
At August 29, 2009 at 7:21 AM , Anonymous Keerth said...

Hi Eileen,

I felt your post was concise and clear. I agree that communicating effectively is difficult. But I am sure that these skills can be learnt. I must say that I did not get the impression that you were a shy person during our first meeting. Nevertheless I hope you will learn and benefit a lot from this module and learn to express yourself freely.

All the best.

Keerth

 
At August 29, 2009 at 11:20 AM , Blogger Eileen said...

To All: Thanks a lot for the encouragement and so sorry for the late response.

To Ryan: Yes, I do agree with you that we shouldn't overdo things. Sometimes it is difficult just being yourself in front of everyone.

To Wei Hong: I think my problem is not being confident. I feel that the skills we were taught are just a guide to improve our communication and when it comes to the actual situation, we need to observe the way we speak as well as who we are speaking to.

To Keerth: Thanks but it makes me wonder what kind of impression I created? Maybe it's because I am trying to start a communication with others rather than waiting and this could be a good start for me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home