Sunday, September 13, 2009

My Personal statement

My interest in science started back in secondary school where I excelled in my biology, chemistry and mathematics. However, during my pre-university studies, I did not take A-level biology as it was not offered as a subject by my school. Nevertheless, this did not deter me from pursuing my interest in science. To further my knowledge in the field of science, I participated in projects and workshops such as perfume making. During the perfume making workshop, I got a taste of being a chemist where I experienced firsthand as how to mix different isometric compound together to come up with a good perfume. In addition, I also led a project to investigate ways of making a perfume that is light in smell but lasting. During the process, I was also equipped with some marketing tools and strategy, as well as presentation skills, as we had to market our product.

Being an undergraduate majoring in Life Sciences had given me the perfect avenue to pursue my interest and exposed me to many aspects of biology, the science of living organisms. The complexity of life especially of the human body had astonished me in many ways. Every day we are exposed to different kind of virus, bacteria and other microorganism, whether beneficial or detrimental to us. Their design are simple, yet their diversity is beyond any other organisms making them great vectors for genetic research but also potent disease-causing machineries and these motivated me to research further into them. Through my undergraduate studies, my analytical and experimental skills had greatly refined and improved as I was equipped with the different experimental techniques involving microorganism, such as bacteria culture, Chromatin Immunoprecipitation and genetic engineering techniques These techniques are much needed in biomedical field which is the forefront where battle against disease-causing viruses and bacteria are fought.

To improve my medical knowledge, I also worked as a clinic assistant at Northeast medical centre. The clinic not only deals with general medical illness but also on long term diseases like diabetes, obesity and diabetes. I was also involved in certain procedures like ECG and handling wounds. In the clinic, I not only learnt the medical skills but also interpersonal skills when I learn to speak to patients regarding their medical condition and medication.

With my interpersonal skills at handling people and hands on experience in various science projects, I am able to interact well with others. In addition, my willingness to learn and perseverance to overcome any obstacles will pull me through any difficulty I face. Lastly, in my own free time I enjoy watching scientific shows like Regenesis where they make use of scientific tools to explore the unknown of science. With a deep interest in science and various projects I participated in, I believe these are important traits of a scientist and I possess them.

9 Comments:

At September 13, 2009 at 3:17 AM , Blogger Keerth said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At September 13, 2009 at 3:56 AM , Blogger Keerth said...

Hi Elieen,

Your post is written professionally. Through your personal statement I got to understand your great interest in Science, especially in the field of Biology. I think you have a lot of experiences through your undergraduate studies and through your work as a clinical assistant, I hope these experiences will help you get a great job. Good luck.

In my opinion a personal statement should include more personal details that are not added in the cover letter. So I think you could have added more personal information, like your goals in life, your personal interests that will help understand your reader where you are heading in your life.

Btw I realize you haven’t added me as your blogging group mate. So just reminding you.

Cheers,
Keerth

 
At September 13, 2009 at 7:06 AM , Blogger liews_ryan said...

Hi Eileen,

After reading your post, I wish i could become a part time doctor or nurse one day!

Your statement is very detailed in explanations as well as all the reasons behind your mind.

Anyway, in my humble opinion, you might want to be more concise as Happy sensei mentioned that the length should be around 300. Otherwise, it is fine.

A very good read for me.

Also, a big GOOD LUCK for your future career!

Cheers,
Ryan

 
At September 14, 2009 at 7:28 PM , Blogger Eileen said...

Hi keerth

So sorry I didn't add you in my groupmates. I had make changes to it already.

Regarding the personal interest you mentioned, I initally wanted to add it in but my personal statment is getting a abit too long, thus I cut it off and emphasis on experiences and skills I had. But I will take note of the points you made. Thanks lots.

 
At September 14, 2009 at 7:30 PM , Blogger Eileen said...

Hey Ryan

Thanks for commenting and the reminder, I will take note of the word count and try to be more concise in my writings.

 
At September 15, 2009 at 3:29 AM , Blogger PInkRage said...

Hi Eileen,


To add on to Ryan's comment, I think one way to shorten your personal statement will be to keep it recent. Perhaps keep the time frame mainly in your years in the University.

Not to be picky, but you left out a full stop before your last sentence in your second paragraph.

I think there is a repetition in the 2nd line in your 3rd paragraph. You mentioned diabetes twice, seemed awkward.

Lastly, I watched Regenesis too, great show. Sadly, the ending to the last season was way too weird and awkward.


Regards,
Pak Ming

 
At September 15, 2009 at 10:08 PM , Blogger Eileen said...

Hey Pak Ming

Thanks for the commenting. Oops, I didn't realise of the 2 errors I made. I will make changes to them in my draft.

I haven't finish the whole show of Regenesis. Why is it weird at the end? But I really feel it's a informative show to watch especially when they mention about the techniques and skills of a scientist.

 
At September 16, 2009 at 6:21 AM , Blogger Danhua said...

HI Eileen,
I have to say that you have set a good example of how to write a professional bio data. I gained a lot from your words. The only thing I want to say is that, in the last paragraph, your contents seems to be two individual points, but you put them as one. Maybe you could put “Lastly, in my own free time I enjoy watching scientific shows like...” as an individual paragraph. Point me out if you have any other ideas.

Regards,
Danhua

 
At September 16, 2009 at 6:38 PM , Blogger Eileen said...

Hi Dan Hua

Oops..You are right. I think it should be 2 paragraph instead of 1.I made a mistake there. Thanks for telling me. I will make changes to it.

Eileen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home